Thursday, May 20, 2010


Resignation Letter


When writing a resignation letter, it's important to keep your resignation letter as simple, brief, and focused as possible. It should also be positive.

Once you have made the decision to move on, there's no point in criticizing your employer or your job. Your letter of resignation should include information on when you are leaving. You can also let the employer know you appreciate your time with the company. When you're not sure what to write, review resignation letter samples to get some ideas.

So how to write a resignation letter? This goodbye letter will be the last document in your personnel file, but if your future employer calls for reference, it may be the first document seen. You really want to make it works, below are just some tips for your consideration:

  • Write your resignation letter to maintain good relationship with your employer, never burn bridges behind you when you resign. You never know when your career will cross paths with your employer again, and you'll also need your boss and coworkers as references when you apply for new jobs.
  • Tell your employer when you're leaving the company in the resignation letter. Usually, you need to give a minimum of two weeks’ notice. But check your employment letter for this information.
  • You don't need to explain specifically why you're leaving. If you say you've found a more challenging job, that might imply that your current job is boring; and if you say you have health problem, that might imply that you're a risky employee for your future employer.
  • Do thank your employer for giving you the opportunity to work at the company, show your regret in having to leave this company.
  • Highlight the most important skills you learned in the company.
  • Double check your spelling and grammar, make sure it's error-free.

Samples:

Sample 1

Today’s Date

Your Name

Title

Reciepient Name
Title
Company’ name
Address
Address

Dear ……….:

Please accept this letter as my formal resignation from my position with ABC Company on June 4, 2010.

Thank you for the responsibilities and opportunities bestowed upon me during my tenure.

I have strongly considered all aspects of this decision and have ultimately made a final career decision to advance myself through another opportunity and ask that you respect my final decision.

Once again, Jon, I am grateful for the favorable combination of circumstances that you have created for me over the past nine years.

Sincerely,

Your Name

Sample 2

Today’s Date

Dear Mr./Ms. Last Name:

Please accept this letter as resignation of my position as System Administrator, effective June 4, 2010. I am offering two weeks’ notice – this will give you an opportunity to find a suitable replacement. If you would like, I am more than willing to provide training and orientation to newcomer.

My decision to resign was finalized after long and careful consideration of all factors. I regret leaving friends here; however, I feel the change will be beneficial to my long-term career goals and objectives. I assure you that I will complete any outstanding projects and business affairs before my departure – the transition will be handled professionally to ensure no internal or external problems.

Again, it has been pleasurable learning experience working as part of your team and I wish nothing but success for (Company’s name)

Sincerely,

Your Name

Sample 3

Recipient Name:
Title
Company’s Name

Dear:

The purpose of this letter is to inform you of my resignation from my current position as System Administrator with [Company’s name]. My last day of work will be [Date].

I would like to take this opportunity to express my sincere appreciation to you as my supervisor, as well as many friends and colleagues here at [Company’s Name]. It has been a great pleasure to work with you all, and I have also learned a great deal about [provide specific tool or application]. I am certain that the skills I have acquired here will be of great value to my future career.

I wish you and [Company’s name] continued success in all your endeavors. And please let me know if I can be of assistance in any way to help with a smooth transition.

Sincerely,



Your name
Title

Sample 4

Dear Mr./Ms. Last Name:

I would like to inform you that I am resigning from my position as _______________, effective June 4, 2010.

Thank you for the opportunities for professional and personal development that you have provided me during the last five years. I have enjoyed working for the agency and appreciate the support provided me during my tenure with the company.

If I can be of any help during this transition, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Your Signature

Your Typed Name

Sample 5

[Date today]

Dear [Recipient's name]:

Please accept this letter as my two-weeks notice of resignation, per company policy. My last day of work will be [date, two weeks from date above].

I made the decision to resign, not because I'm unhappy with the opportunities you've presented, but as a strategic career move. It's been a great pleasure working with you and representing [company name].

Be assured that I will wrap-up all unfinished business in a professional manner, before the end of my last day. Please let me know if you need my help in any other way.

Sincerely,

[Sign here]

[Your name, title]

Sample 6

[Date today]
Dear [Recipient's name]:

Please accept this letter as my formal notice of resignation from [Company name], effective on [day and date]. The associations I've made during my employment here will truly be memorable for years to come.

I hope that this two-week notice is sufficient for you to find a replacement for me. If I can help to train my replacement or tie up any loose ends in the next two weeks, please let me know.

Thank you for the opportunity to work here.

Sincerely,

[Sign here]

[Your name, title]

Sample 7

[Date today]

Dear [Recipient's name]:

Please accept this letter as my notice of resignation, effective [date].

This wasn't an easy decision, because I am grateful for the rewarding employment I've had with [Company name]. But after long hours of consideration, my decision is now final and I have accepted a position with another company.

Sincere thanks and best wishes for the future,

[Sign here]

[Your name, title]

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very cool article about how to write a professional resignation formula in a way that keeps you in touch with your manager and co-workers
    I have read about the resignation of the work and the presentation of a letter of resignation professionally through the website in Arabic and I enjoyed the very question of the resignation of the professional and how to write a wonderful resignation
    mihany

    ReplyDelete